28.9.07

My Rich Mullins Tribute

It was 10 years ago this month that Rich Mullins was killed in a car crash (he wasn't wearing a seat belt!). I won't say that Rich Mullins had a huge impact on me but I did like his music. At the time, I knew his music had depth even though I didn't really understand most of his lyrics. I wasn't old enough and hadn't lived enough to fully grasp the depth. But as the years have marched on, bits and pieces of his songs come floating back to my mind and I'm starting to "get" it.

About a month ago, I was desperately trying to teach Adrianna to take a nap. She could go an entire day without napping and by the end of the day we were both wrecks. I prayed and began speaking peace over her. I would pray over her as I laid her down that she would sleep in peace. As I prayed I kept hearing:

"So may peace rain down from heaven
like little pieces of the sky"

The song really has nothing at all to do with getting a baby to sleep peacefully but it brought me back to Rich Mullins and I've enjoyed my own mini Rich Mullins revival.

Some quotes:
"Surrender don't come natural to me
I'd rather fight you for something I don't really want
then to take what You give that I need
And I've beat my head against so many walls
I'm falling down, I'm falling on my knees
and this Salvation Army band is playing this hymn
and Your grace rings out so deep it makes my resistance seem to thin."
- Hold Me Jesus

"You who live in radiance - hear the prayers of those of us who live in skin"
- Hard to Get

"The Christian faith is not about mere intellectual assent to a set of doctrines but about a daily walk with this person Jesus. It’s about living in awareness of Christ risen, resurrected, and living in my life. Even though doctrine is important, wisdom in the Bible has more to do with character and the art of living. Christianity is about living out the will of God, and living abundantly."

"Don't resist the work of God by asking for an easy life."

No comments: